Coding Academy – Cardiff and Vale College
19 February, 2024
Part Time, Day Time, 35 hours per week
One Canal Parade, Dumballs Road, Cardiff, CF10 5BF
Courses and Academies
About this course
Co-designed with CAVC, FinTech Wales Skills Group and leading Tech organisations aim to address the skills shortages in industry.
You will develop well-rounded skills and gain valuable qualifications that boost your career prospects in the Tech sector. You will gain a foundational knowledge in:
- Professional practice in an IT context
- Creating a Procedural Computer Program
- Database Application
In addition to the technical elements above, you will also learn about project management and the ‘softer skills’ desired by employers.
This is a fantastic opportunity to start, boost or change your career:
- You may have left school several years ago and worked in a variety of roles since
- You may be a university graduate struggling to find the right job
- You may be looking to build your confidence after an extended career break
- You may be self-taught with a passion for programming and no formal qualifications in this area
Whatever your background, this programme aims to boost your confidence and provide you with skills valued by Tech organisations.
All participants will receive a weekly £150 training allowance. If you have financial constraints or barriers to attending the academy, financial assistance is also available (e.g., toward childcare, travel expenses) *
Partnering local Tech organisations are committing to interviewing all those who complete the required modules.
*This training allowance may affect any benefits you’re in receipt of.
What you will study
You will study a range of modules, both soft and technical, identified as ‘in-demand’ by industry representatives.
Modules will include:
- Overview and Regulatory Requirements in Tech sectors
- College Certificate in Software Development:
- Professional Practice in an IT Context
- Database Applications
- Workplace/Soft skills (such as problem solving, project management and effective communication)
- Project Management: Scrum Developer (Vendor qualification achieved on successful completion)
- Cloud Services: Azure Fundamentals (Vendor qualification achieved on successful completion)
- Be aged 19+
- Be Living in Wales
- Not in full time education
- Hold a A*- C in GCSE English, or ILETS level 5+, or Ascentis ESOL L2 or above.
- Have an aptitude & enthusiasm for coding (or qualification in relevant sector subject area)
Under the evidence section of the application system, please upload your CV. Upon registering your interest, you will be invited to interview. If successful, you will then be invited to complete an online application form.
Teaching and assessment
A mixture of exam(s) and assessments.
This academy is delivered in person.
You will require access to a laptop with minimum specifications.
Please check your laptop to ensure that the minimum requirements to run the software are achievable [Intel i3 – 3.40Ghz or better and at least 8GB of ram or AMD Ryzen 5 – 3.2Ghz or better and at least 8GB of ram].
Full access to the following standard software/websites:
- Microsoft Teams
- A Web Browser (Edge, Chrome, Safari, Firefox etc.)
- Microsoft Office/Office 365
Full access to the following bespoke software and all of the libraries:
- Anaconda (1 Download)
- Sublime Text (1 Download)
- Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio (2 Downloads)
- Anvil (1 Download)
If there are any concerns regarding accessing the software above, please speak with your tutor and/or CAVC liaison who will be able to support you with an alternative solution.
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.